Hello FAVORITE COMFORT FOOD of the season!
Yeah, I mean you meatloaf… I see you under all that bacon!
Bacon that has baked to a crispy perfection!
In this updated version, I’m here to tell you that not only is this a keto-friendly (low carb) version of an old favorite, it’s also an extremely much needed REVAMP!
This is also when I begin to dream about those delicious home-cooked meals that remind me of growing up.
You’ve gotta get your hands a little dirty for this one!
Each ingredient really compliments the whole dish. Be careful not to overdue it with the Kosher salt. That along with the bacon adds a lot of seasoning plus the little bit of delicious gluten free tamari sauce also adds a punch of saltiness.
I always recommend mixing the ingredients just enough but not too much so that your meatloaf can “breathe.”
Then it’s a matter of shaping it into a loaf.
Of course you can’t stick this in the oven without adding the final magical touch of the bacon strips on top.
Now it’s time to DEVOUR this baby!
As you can see, my baking dish looks like it’s going to have to soak forever in order to get clean. I use this product with a scouring sponge and it comes right off!
cheesy meatloaf with crispy bacon – keto friendly!
Even people who aren't trying to avoid carbs are going to LOVE this recipe! The bacon makes it CRAZY flavorful, the almond flour is the perfect binder and no one will even know it's keto friendly. As for the Tamari sauce... it packs a punch of umami you never knew you needed!
- 1 tbsp butter for oiling the pan
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp organic gluten-free tamari sauce
- 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 bacon strips, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Generously grease a medium baking dish with butter. Heat oil In a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, oregano, and chili powder and cook until fragrant, or about one minute. Let mixture cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, vegetable mixture, cheese, almond flour, Parmesan, eggs, tamari sauce, tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.
- Shape it into a large loaf in baking dish, then lay bacon slices on top.
- Cook until bacon is crispy and beef is cooked through, about 1 hour. If bacon is cooking too quickly, cover the dish with foil. Remove any extra liquid in the baking dish.